Thursday, March 8, 2007

Mirah/The Blow @ NYU Shorin Auditorium

I know, I know. I caught the same show last week, but how could I resist another go around of this sweet line up, for free none the less. Plus, I am home on Spring Break and have nothing else better to do. I arrived at the Shorin Auditorium around 8ish and found out the show was "sold out", but we may have a chance of getting in. My friend Chris and I waited in line for a while and eventually made our way into the auditorium, right before The Blow came on. Sadly, we missed the opening act Liz Isenberg. How was she?

The Blow (also know as the one woman show of Khaela Maricich) came out and started her set once again by singing seductively into the microphone while tapping in it, creating a simple beat. The setlist was pretty much the same as last week and she still told great anecdotes throughout the set, while bouncing around the stage. She remarked that she felt like she was giving a lecture and how it was funny that during the set, everyone just stares at her and doesn't move, yet wildly applauses at the end of each song. Oh well, I guess that's New York crowds for you.

Mirah came out soon after and I honestly was not as impressed with her set this time around. Maybe it was the large room or it was just an "off night", but she just didn't seem to be into the performance. The crowd was entranced by her and sang along at points, but you could tell it was mostly just the die hard fans.

More photos up at the flickr page.

The Blow:





Mirah:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

liz isenberg is playing galapagos art space on the 18th with labelmates vio/mire and cassette concret, if you want to hear what you missed. also myspace.com/lizisenberg has songs